|Cemetery:||CHARLEROI COMMUNAL CEMETERY, Charleroi, Hainaut, Belgium|
|Location:||Charleroi is located between Mons and Namur. From
the motorway E42 turn onto the A54 in the direction of Charleroi, located
between junctions 16 and 17. Travel along the A54 until junction 26, the
Lodelinsart/Gilly junction. Take this turning and stay in the right hand lane.
At the traffic lights bear right, then immediately left into rue de Lodinsart
(road running parallel to the motorway access). After 500 metres do a U-turn,
then turn right into rue P Paulus, next left into rue Cayauderie, then take the
second right into rue de Bethleem and first right into rue de Presbytere. The
cemetery is straight ahead. On entering the cemetery, the graves are on the
left after the Guardian's office and are divided in two plots.
|Historical Information:||The town witnessed the Battle of Charleroi, on the 21st-24th August, 1914 and for the rest of the War it was a German Military and Administrative centre. There are now over 250, 1914-18 and nearly 50, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site.|